Saturday, January 30, 2010

Santa Cruz Diner Counter


JAN 29th 5:30PM - Kodak Color Film, ISO 200, Shutter Speed: 10 seconds


An old soul with a young heart…

It’s been quite a while since I’ve eaten at this counter. I used to frequent this place during my days off as soon as the pangs of hunger hit in the morning. I took strange comfort in being amongst a group of predominantly septuagenarian eaters. I felt like I was in some kind of secret club (it seemed that hardly anyone under the age of fifty sat alone at the counter - except me). For some reason I saw a future version of myself in those graying gentlemen, their knotty noses buried in the newspaper and a piping cup of coffee in hand. For someone absurdly afraid of getting old, I’m surprised by the peace that I find when I’m rubbing elbows with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment