Friday, January 1, 2010

Bathroom Sink



JAN 1st @ 5:20pm - Kodak Color Film, ISO 200, Shutter Speed: 2 minutes

Already off to a rough start, but sometimes a rocky beginning can pave the way for an exciting adventure...

There was a minor snafu with advancing the film! I managed to get away with only 12 usable shots, but now I get to post some pictures a lot sooner than I was expecting. Also, I got to see what I was doing wrong which allows me to compensate for my mistakes during the next roll. Silver lining!

I was brushing my teeth and as I lean down to rinse, I noticed how the light and water were bouncing off of the chrome sink drain
(Yes, I know...it was a total Sam Mendes plastic-bag-caught-in-a-draft moment). Since the pinhole camera requires slow shutter speeds, especially with indoor lighting, I thought it would be perfect to try and use it to capture the image that captured me. The moving water alone would create a cool effect! While I'm setting up for the shot, I realize how challenging it's going to be and I curse myself for a brief moment for not choosing a landscape scene in broad daylight. In an attempt to prevent as much 'camera shake' as possible I hunker down over the side of the sink with my arm braced against the wall, every possible muscle constricted and still - human tripod! It's amazing how long 2 minutes actually is. It was terribly agonizing to sit still for that long, and I was actually on the verge of a cramp by the end of it.

The picture didn't turn out exactly as I had anticipated, but I love how the drops of water created streaks of light as they ricocheted all over the place!

Lessons: Use a tripod, don't be afraid of over exposing, & things are actually further away than they look through the view finder...


No comments:

Post a Comment